12/20/2012

Introverts and Violence

It makes me sad inside when I hear about such tragedies such as the Newtown Massacre; more frequent are the killings and more horrific. If you or a loved one was affected by the tragedy, you have my deepest condolences; I don't have children, but if I did, I would think that a school would be the last place they would be exposed to gun violence. How sick do you have to be to kill innocent children? I wasn't surprised when the typical types of sources (media, senators, etc) blamed video games instead of looking at their own country's laws on gun control.

I was a bit offended when they started pointing fingers at introverted people who are the type to be more susceptible to cause such atrocities. I identify myself as an introvert; I enjoy my solitude, I find i'm better at expressing myself through writing, I do not enjoy large gatherings, but rather enjoy smaller deep conversations instead. According to the below video, 1 in 3 people are introverts. There have been many famous people in history that were introverts, including: Albert Einstein, Warren Buffet, Gandhi, Eleanor Roosevelt.

There was a great Time Magazine article a few months ago where it had a little quiz that would show how much of an extrovert/introvert that you were. I can't remember if this was the same one, give it a try.

What would you say you are: and Extrovert or Introvert?

1 comment:

  1. Definitely an introvert. I've not been watching the news coverage partly because this kind of blanket comment drives me crazy. No, not crazy enough to pull a gun /sigh.

    I'm a pacifist. Just because I use solitude to recharge my sociability batteries does not make me a danger to society. Sadly, that's less easy to explain than to say "This killer was a loner, ergo all loners are killers."

    There's a saying somewhere about Cretans. I'm pretty sure it applies to news media.

    ReplyDelete