8/29/2009

Review: Armored Core: For Answers

yes yes.. I know.. how long ago did this game come out? loll
I don't really feel engaged with any of these games that I probably would have alot of fun with because it feels like the achievements don't mean much since the game has been out for so long. There is something about.. Halo.. that i've never liked.. maybe you truly became a console gamer if you liked/played that game. Even if it did come out of pc, it plays like a console game. I'll add this to the list tho:

Halo ODST.. "why J, why for the love of g0d??"

It seems more modern than futuristic which is what i like.. you're more human than super human. More realistic guns (it seems from vids); tho I guess aliens will still have futuristic guns.. :S I never liked futuristic guns, give me Modern Warfare 2! I'm really excited as the Bungie team are fans of Firefly and 3 voice actors are from the series! Not to mention the blonde cylon from Battlestar Galactica I think plays your navigator..




But anyways; thats off topic; lets talk about Armored Core:


I've always been a rabid mechwarrior enthusiast, which reminds me to possibly try mechassault 2 and borrow it from my best friend Hunter, so I thought when I had the chance to try a game that had a more japanese lean to it, AC4a would be pretty great... uh nope.

Now i remember, it reminds me of the bandits from Samurai7 (be prepared to crave simple white rice after)
I remember reading a long time ago that one of the drawbacks to the AC series was that there was very little guidance in the game, that unless you played it for hundreds of hours or from the very first one, that you would be very lost. And I was.

There was the basic tutorial which included movement, shooting, boosting. But that was it. Didn't really let me know what was my damage meter, whether i could get it back, that if you panic, you could actually drop all your weapons... i learned that the hard way.

One of the nice things about the game was there were 4 different factions you could join which may dictate how the story progressed, but in particular it dictated the type of robot you started off with. (reminds me of Mechwarrior Mercenaries 2 and picking a sponsor.. Wolf's Dragoons, Kell Hounds.. or something else) I've always liked getting nice and close, so when I saw there was a faction that specialized in lazer swords, I jumped on....

.. and was highly disappointed.. the attack was always a lunge attack and left you vulnerable for a few seconds.. sure I could kill things in mostly one lunge, but my armor was torn to shreds easily. Lol; there was one mission that i took so much damage, that I owed the contractor money b/c my repair bill was so high!

Then I rerolled and tried a more sniper approach. It worked out slightly better... slightly.. with so many numbers on the spec screen, I couldn't remember how far each weapon's range was..
And when it came to the 1vs1 arenas.. i blew crap.. my opponent destroyed me.... I couldn't get enough distance with it to snipe or damage it enough.. i took it to maybe 60% health.. bah

shoot right arm weapon
switch right arm weapon
shoot alternate right arm weapon
shoot left arm weapon
switch left arm weapon
shoot alternate left arm weapon
shoot shoulder weapon
boost up
boost forward
boost up then forward
quick boost
super boost

farrrrrrrr too many buttons to be pressed :P

Its like street fighter (the multiple button combos) but big robots.. with actually slightly kind crappy graphics..I would stay away from this game..

No comments:

Post a Comment